The cat has its roots in the jungle. In his years as wild was a fierce hunter with sharp teeth ready to kill. Today uses his teeth to bite you when you do not pay attention.
Cat Oral health is very important. It is often in the mouth where disease symptoms make their appearance. For this you must inspect often. A process that is anything but easy.
NOTE: Inspect the cat’s mouth is an art. If the Pussycat refuses, do not force it. If you are in a good mood, place your index finger and thumb on both cheeks. Press a little and open its mouth. With the other hand, grab the jaw. Do not waste time. The cat will get tired in seconds.
Teeth: The adult cat has a total of 30 teeth. 2 less than us and One 12 unless the dog! But those who they have are well used. They are designed to grip, cut and quartered, not to chew. After catch prey with their forelegs, he proceeds to bite with their fangs, dividing the meat with your back teeth and swallowing without chewing once.
clean teeth: The entire process of killing, clean and eat the prey help, believe it or not, to keep your teeth healthy. Feathers or hair work as dental floss between the teeth by removing particles preventing diseases such as gingivitis.
Now the domesticated cat canned food tastes. You not have to go hunting work and never go hungry. But this meal does not help your oral health. The food majada not clean between the teeth. It is advisable to give him some dry food or snacks from day to avoid problems.
Symptoms of oral diseases
• The cat does not eat: The most common symptom. The cat wants to eat, hungry, but as he approached his food, gives up the idea as if it causes pain. If this occurs on more than one occasion, try to verify his mouth. You can have a Abscess or an infected tooth. Can not eat it has consequences as liver problems. Do not let him spend more than 24 hours.
• The cat stops bathing: You know how he likes to be groomed. But one of the reasons for the cat to stop cleaning is something in your mouth that causes pain.
• Drooling or excessive salivation: The Pussycat is clean but not drooling. This may indicate pain in your mouth. Saliva can change from clear to brown or red due to infection.
• Bad breath: Do you always have a fresh smelling breath mint, but strong-smelling breath can be a sign of gingivitis, infection and even cancer of the mouth.
• Difficulty opening the mouth or swallowing: usually happens when the cat has suffered a blow to his jaw.
All these symptoms are dangerous and need assistance from the vet. Do not let your cat suffer long.
Gums: The gum color also helps detect disease in the cat. A healthy gum is pink. But do not panic if you see black spots. Cats of different colors, such as black and white, have spotted gums. As interior decoration (elegant to inside).
• pale gingiva: signal anemia. To ensure that the test is anemia beam filling the capillaries. Gently press the gum until it becomes white. When you release the gum should return to its original color. Otherwise, the cat may be anemic.
• gingiva with gray or blue hues: indicates lack of oxygen
• Red Gum: sign of infection, heat stroke or poisoning
• yellow Gum: indicates jaundice or liver problems.